In the 12th century, Morey-Saint-Denis was known as Villa Mirriaca, perhaps the home of a Gallo-Roman named Murricius. Being on the Roman Way from Dijon to Nuits-Saint-Georges, this villa was strongly Romanized. Another interpretation of Mirriaca is that it derives from common Latin Murrum äóìmuzzle, hillockäó? which designates an accumulation of debris dragged, then abandoned by the glaciers. Another possibility is that Morey was named for rounded mounds of glacier debris in the Morey Heights. In 1927, the commune appended its name to include one of its Grand Cru climats, (Clos) Saint-Denis.
Monthly Specials, Tasting Events & Wine Class Happenings