In the Morey-Saint-Denis appellation, Clos Saint-Denis is sandwiched between Clos de la Roche to the north and Clos des Lambrays to the south.
The Clos Saint-Denis vineyard is divided among four Lieux-dits: Clos Saint Denis 2.18 ha (5.4 acres); Calouere 1.29 ha (3.2 acres); Les Chaffots 1.33 ha (3.3 acres) and Maison Brulee 1.82 ha (4.5 acres) and is centered at about 951 feet in elevation. It is one of 5 Grand Cru vineyards in the appellation. Only Pinot Noir is planted.
Around 1015, Lord Humbert de Vergy, a rich landowner, took holy orders and later became the Bishop of Paris. In 1023, he founded a Canons Chapter in his castle in Vergy where he had a little church built in honor of Saint Denis, the first bishop of Paris. In 1609, the Canons were granted by Nuits-Saint-Georges to build constructions in the surroundings of the Notre-Dame Chapel. They constructed Clos Saint-Denis.
Monthly Specials, Tasting Events & Wine Class Happenings